Sunday, May 3, 2009

Executive Koala

[Also from Confabulation (a private board of a few old friends, by the way, so if anyone reading this happens not to be a member, that's why you've never heard of it).]

I'm not sure what I can say about Minoru Kawasaki's 2005 film about a 6-foot tall plush koala in a business suit who works as planning director for a pickle company and is possibly a serial killer on the side except: you must see it. I had to take time-outs, I was laughing so hard. Kawasaki has also directed features about a stag beetle, a crab (Crab Goalkeeper, which the director describes as being "like Forrest Gump"), and a squid (Calamari Wrestler). He is clearly an auteur whom I urgently press upon your attention.

One reviewer of the film noted that "by the time this thing ends...there's an excellent chance you'll either be a) checking to see if your Pringles were laced with PCP, or b) sending out a mass e-mail to all your friends and loved ones telling them about the mind-obliterating awesomeness that you had just watched."

Well, I guess it's clear which option I chose. Wasn't eating Pringles.