Saturday, May 30, 2009

Acquisitions, May 16-22

This post is late in coming because my laptop was in the shop for a week, and I fell behind on some things.

  • Perry Miller, The Raven and the Whale (Harvest pb) -- "The war of words and wits in the era of Poe and Melville." (Amazon, used)
  • John Lynch, The Spanish American Revolutions, 1808-1826 (W.W. Norton hc) -- A key volume for my Latin American immersion. (Shenandoah, 1/2 price sale)
  • Bill Malone, Country Music, U.S.A. (University of Texas pb) -- A serious history, up to 1968. (Shenandoah, 1/2 price sale)
  • Claire Tomalin, Jane Austen: A Life (Penguin pb) (Half Price Books)
  • John O'Hara, The Farmers Hotel (Random House hc) -- Strange that I have never read any O'Hara, given my interest in American realism. This short novel might be the perfect place to start. (Shenandoah, 1/2 price sale)
  • Matthew Josephson, The Robber Barons: The Great American Capitalists, 1861-1901 (Harcourt, Brace hc) -- A famous book in business history; this is the first edition of 1934. (Shenandoah, 1/2 price sale)
  • Roderick Cameron, Viceroyalties of the West: The Spanish Empire in Latin America (Little, Brown hc) -- Also for the Latin American project. (Biblio)
  • Louis Menand, The Metaphysical Club (Farrar, Straus and Giroux pb) -- I have read this Pulitzer Prize winner already; it's a magnificent book with excellent notes and bibliography, and I wanted a copy for my library. I do like having a copy of most books I've read.
  • Paul Johnson, A History of the American People (Phoenix pb) -- On the clearance shelf at Half Price Books; 1,200 pages for $2.00; good value!
  • Annette Stott, Holland Mania: The Unknown Dutch Period in American Art & Culture (Overlook Press hc) -- This was one of the books I sold to Shenadoah a couple of years ago that then sold off their shelves. I found this copy (which I suspect is the same one) at Half Price Books.
  • John Hickman, News from the End of the Earth: A Portrait of Chile (St. Martin's Press hc) -- Midway through reading this, I had to return my library copy, and was happy to invest in a copy of my own. (Abebooks)
  • William Shakespeare, Troilus and Cressida (Caedmon, 3 LPs and booklet) -- I'll write at length in another post about my growing collection of recorded Shakespeare plays. The Caedmon series from the Sixties is especially nice, since it includes booklets with the full texts of the plays. (Ebay)
  • William Shakespeare, Macbeth (Spoken Arts LP) -- Picked up this recording and the next two for $0.99 apiece on Ebay.
  • William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice (4 LPs)
  • William Shakespeare, Titus Andronicus (3 LPs and booklet)