Friday, May 16, 2008

Chronicle of Higher Education

I subscribe to the "Daily Report" email from The Chronicle of Higher Education. I am not a print subscriber so I don't have access to all the articles, but the "Careers" section is fully accessible. Read this daily and you will never, ever regret not getting a PhD.

It is without question the most gruesome reading of my day, just about every day. Struggling to get through doctoral programs; turning over every stone in creation to find possible tenure track jobs; being humiliated in the interviewing and selection process; settling for crappy jobs at lesser institutions; dealing with publish or perish, political correctness, departmental infighting, and a hundred other indignities; sweating through the tenure process if one should be so lucky as to get that far -- it is all there, in excruciating detail, and it should be read by every academic aspirant. Although I doubt that the folks at the Chronicle consciously intend to promote such an unflattering picture of academe, the fact is that I know of no other "official" organ of a profession that is so nightmare- and nausea-inducing. Upon sufficient exposure to the Chronicle, one would have to be a fool to think that higher education provides any sort of refuge for gentle intellectual souls from the cut-throat machinations of the corporate world.

And so I'm glad that I topped out at a master's.

No comments: