Thursday, May 15, 2008

Birmans

A dear friend of mine had to put down his beloved dog of 14 years today, just a few weeks after having to do the same with one of his cats. He has another dog and another cat, but that scarcely makes the losses less difficult. I've been there.

I can't imagine life without animals, honestly. I have had many companion animals over the years, some more successfully than others (not every relationship works!), but the best of them have been among the great pleasures of my life: Cooper the Border Collie mix, Piper the cockatiel, Pickles the orange tabby, Tommy the ferret, Snowball the white bunny, Roger the brown bunny.

My current housemate is a preposterously adorable Birman named Claire. I am not sure how old she is: probably around 12 or 13, but she doesn't seem a bit old, and I hope she has many years left. I got her as a rescue cat and the vet guessed her age to be about 7 or 8, and identified her as a purebred Birman (a very beautiful one, too, with smoky coloring and the characteristic four white paws). She was a very scared cat and must have had difficult younger days; her breed is typically gregarious and gets along well with other animals, but Claire is still frightened of all people but me and probably would not do well except in a one-pet household. I cheerfully oblige her, because she is a great cat!

In her one-on-one relations with me, Claire is very much like other Birmans. They bond strongly to people, greet their "owners" at the door and follow them from room to room like a puppy, and take a strong and curious interest in human doings. They are calm and sweet-natured, very gentle and loving, and, unusually for cats, enjoy making eye contact.

It continually surprises me that this breed is not better known. When the sad day comes for me and Claire as it came for my friend and his dog today, I will be certain to make a home for another Birman, because I've never run across a more thoroughly companionable pet.

No comments: