Sunday, January 23, 2011

Thoughts on Writing

If the writing comes to me, I can wake up with a post in my head, and it is just a matter of setting it down, and disseminating it quickly (which seems to be necessary to me) in the appropriate venues -- depending on the case, this blog, my private web-group, and/or one of the public boards I participate in. Although I am pretty old-fashioned in many ways, the Internet seems tailor-made for my writing style for several reasons: I am primarily a writer of notes, not essays; I am a short-take guy; and I love to publish instantly (but also to tinker slightly with wordings and to add further thoughts after the initial publication). The conditions haven't been so propitious for a writer of that type since the days of the 17th and 18th century broadsides coming out of English and French coffee-houses.

However, I simply refuse to go on Twitter. Short is OK, but longer is good too, as the occasion demands, and I will not submit to a 140-character limit.

No comments: