Sunday, January 2, 2011

Interesting Exchange

Patrick Murtha: I am trying to pin down a recollection. In the early Seventies, one of the networks -- I believe it was ABC -- ran a summer series of classic black-and-white movies over several weeks. Two of them were definitely Portrait of Jennie and The Spiral Staircase. Can you or any of your readers help me identify which other films were screened in this series? It was my introduction to classic Hollywood as a young adolescent, and I have always been grateful for it.

RGJ, Webmaster, TVObscurities.com: I am incredibly impressed with your memory. ABC aired a four-week series called The Movie Classics of David O. Selznick during the summer of 1971. This was the first time any of the films had been seen on television. Here are the four films that were shown and their air dates:

"Intermezzo"
Tuesday, June 22nd, 1971

"The Spiral Staircase"
Tuesday, June 29th, 1971

"Portrait of Jennie"
Tuesday, July 6th, 1971

"Made for Each Other"
Tuesday, July 13th, 1971

Again, I am amazed that you were able to remember so much about this brief summer movie series.

Patrick Murtha: Thank you so much for the detailed information! Up till now, I have never met anyone who remembers the series besides me. I was 12 that summer, about to enter the 8th grade, and seeing these movies was a revelation that turned me into a lifelong fan of classic film. I was particularly blown away (pun intended!) by the storm climax of Portrait of Jennie.

As I recall, ABC's promotion of the series was vigorous and captured my attention. They made it a showcase event.

No comments: