Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cold Weather (2010)

Dennis Lim has written a very nice background piece on Aaron Katz's Cold Weather for the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/movies/30katz.html

I still have to catch up with the whole mumblecore thing, but this sounds like a film I could like a lot. And a young film-maker who counts Robert Altman, P.G. Wodehouse, Carl Barks, and Preston Sturges among his influences has already made a beeline to my approval.

By the way, in February the Times is putting up a paywall and pieces like this will probably no longer be accessible. Most content at the Wall Street Journal and the Times (U.K.) is already blocked off in that way. It's too bad to lose the NYT, but I'm not paying; there are too many other sources of information on the Internet. I understand the difficulties of making money in the Internet era, but I don't think paywalls are a viable solution; you lose 95% of your eyeballs.

No comments: