Sunday, January 22, 2012

Philosophy and Longevity

Here's an interesting fact. I've put together a long chronological list of philosophers and other figures in the history of ideas - more than 1,200 names so far. I have found out that in earlier eras when average lifespans were very much shorter than they are nowadays, and continuing right on until the present day, an astonishing (statistically significant!) number of thinkers lived into their 80s, 90s, and 100s. This tends to confirm a belief that I have, that it is our minds that keep us alive. After 50 or so, our bodies really are not much good, but allowing for the occasional memory lapses and synaptic misfires, a vigorous and well-exercised mind can continue working in strong fashion almost indefinitely. I've read about studies that back that up. So if you want to live a long and stimulating life, philosophy is the ticket!

POSTSCRIPT: It has been distressing for me to discover how much even healthy bodies change after our mid-40s. I've never smoked or taken recreational drugs, I drink moderately, I eat sensibly, I've always exercised and kept myself fit, and I have a good overall record of health. Yet at 53, the number of days on which I could say I really feel physically good has dwindled to almost none. The pep of age 35 is gone, and it ain't coming back. My mental energy doesn't seem to have diminished, yet my physical self wants to take it as easy as possible. On weekends, I nap a lot. Because of all the nonsense about how "50 is the new 40" and such, I didn't expect to experience anything that I would define as old age for another ten years or so, but I was flat wrong about that. No doubt I am just getting into the groove of aging, and it will all begin to seem like the new normal before long. But I now have no difficulty understanding why people suffer mid-life crises; the losses of aging are vaster than the culture wants to let on.

No comments: