Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Wardrobe: Madras Trousers

I had been hunting for a nice pair of Madras trousers, and hit pay dirt on Ebay:



As with spectator shoes, to wear these in this day and age, you have to be comfortable with attention. It's usually very pleasant attention, but some people are shy even of receiving compliments in public. Not this boy! Yesterday, I wore these trousers with an open-necked blue dress shirt, navy blazer, and black Bally loafers in the lakeside town of Port Washington, Wisconsin, and I was hailed with comments and questions, from passers-by, people on boats, people on bar decks, and so on. The pants were a hit.

Port Washington, you may know, is the home of the Allen Edmonds shoe company, so I stopped at the "Shoe Bank" and did some damage. I think I must have more than a dozen pairs of Allen Edmonds now. (I counted: there are fifteen. I don't think I'll report the overall number of pairs of shoes.)

1 comment:

JP said...

I was born in Madras but I don't believe I've ever worn trousers like these.

Now, I feel vaguely cheated. (And I don't even like the trousers that much!)