Sunday, July 13, 2008

Not Your Bloggish Blog

That last post was the 100th, as it happens, and although I was going to write this taking-stock post anyway, it now seems even more timely. I am sure there are other blogs like Patrick Murtha's Diary (since there are so many blogs out there), but this is not much like other blogs that I look at. It is heavy on text, light on visuals, heavy on cross-references within the blog, light on hyperlinks outside it. No matter when you come on board, the blog makes the most sense if you read it from the beginning; I didn't intend for it to become like a book, but that is what the result has been. It is not part of the literary blogosphere or the film blogosphere or the menswear blogosphere, despite touching on all those matters. It is not an act of professional self-promotion, as a fair number of single-subject blogs are. I feel free to insert more self-revelation and personal musing than most critical blogs, as well as far more cultural criticism than most personal blogs. So the product is perhaps a strange mix -- but I rather like it.

No comments: