Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Wardrobe: Tan Poplin Suit

The tan poplin suit is the perfect basic summer suit, as far as I'm concerned. It's incredibly versatile; you have a hard time finding pieces that don't go well with it. I've owned several of these suits over the years; my curtain model is a Joseph A. Bank two-button that I purchased on sale for $99.00 -- and they seem to run that particular sale price frequently. I intend to pick up an olive poplin and a navy poplin there before long.

I also find the tan poplin an emotionally reassuring suit, a friendly suit. When you're sporting a nice tan, you're going to look sharp in it, but it's also non-threatening, so suitable for any occasion. It dresses down much more easily than a pinstripe (which doesn't really dress down effectively at all). A very bright or whimsical tie works; no tie at all works. A dressy shirt works; a button-down works; a polo works. How could you not like a garment that's so agreeable?

1 comment:

Patrick said...

I have two, both sacks - one older J. Press, and one of the new-fangled Brooks models in the miracle fabric.

I wear them often between June and the end of October, and you're right - they are as versatile as anything I own.

I have the olive and navy Brooks versions, too, and they get plenty of play right into winter. Hooray for the American desire to be lightly poached by the central heating.