Thursday, June 12, 2008

"Dude, you look like a bond trader!"

So said one of my fellow brokers when I was in commercial real estate sales -- and it's my favorite sartorial compliment ever. Although I can deploy my business wardrobe to look tweedy, trad, Euro-capitalist, banker, preppie, attorney, corporate raider, and so on, one of my preferred looks is definitely "slick salesguy" -- positively Gordon Gekko-ish with the contrasting white French cuffs and spread collars, the ventless double-breasted suits, the braces, the brash links, the tassel loafers. Why this style should particularly appeal to me, I'm not sure; but I have a lot of fun with it.

I used this photo, pilfered from somewhere on the Internet, as my avatar in several menswear forums, before I switched to the Eliot Ness photograph I posted here last month. All the key elements are present, and I like the jauntiness.

1 comment:

Laguna Beach Fogey said...

Wonderful blog. I'm enjoying the thoughtful comments.
I see this look a lot, especially on the private bankers and financial advisors in the area. Tassel loafers with a suit seems to be the rule.
The only full-time bond trader I know here is a guy in Newport Beach who wears aloha shirts, khaki shorts, and sandals every day to work. He has long hair and goes to the beach after the market closes. What a life. Not much to write home about actually. ;)