Thursday, June 12, 2008

Web Forums

Web forums are, for me, what looks like a good idea, hiding a very bad idea. The impulse to reach out to others who share your interests is, naturally, strong for many of us. And the Internet appears to provide a miraculous way of doing that across all boundaries of geography and other limitations. So far, so great.

But there are catches. Forums are for the expression of opinions, of course, but those who share interests are hardly likely to share the same opinions. So there will be disputes. Email is famously lacking in the cues that sustain us through conversations-over-a-beer with friends whose opinions differ from our own; email often brings out the worst in people. When you add to that the anonymity of hiding behind handles and often-to-some-extent-created personas, the risks grow greater.

Certainly I am susceptible to those difficulties, and forums do not always bring out my best. I'd say that many men, in particular, fare poorly in that regard, because of a competitive and combative streak (which I share); and of their nature many forums that interest me will be male-dominated (do men like this format better than women?). They will also frequently descend to pissing contests.

So almost always at some point in time, a given forum stops being fun for me. A spirited debate, sometimes one I've started, can get nastier and nastier, until I wonder, how did we get here? (knowing full well that I own my part of the mess).

Then it's time to get out.

I hope blogging will not be like that -- although I know that bloggers burn out, too. But mine is a modest blog with a small readership, unlikely to generate any demands I can't handle (indeed, unlikely to generate any demands at all, except for self-imposed ones).

2 comments:

Bradford said...

So I just saw that you are no longer posting on the forums and I wanted to say that you will be missed.

Although you did not post photos, I always enjoyed reading the descriptions of your outfits.

You clearly take pride in your appearance and I appreciated your willingness to share the choices with all of us.

Take care and don't be a stranger.

Bradford

Patrick Murtha said...

Thank you very much, Bradford! That is kind of you to say.