Sunday, June 8, 2008

Flip-Flop Nation

On my Sunday morning rounds today, which took in Atlantic Bread Company, Qdoba, the Fox River Mall including Jos. A. Bank, and Barnes & Noble, I noticed (and counted) that despite dismally wet and initially cool weather, flip-flops outnumbered other male footwear (including other styles of sandal) by about three to one on guys of all ages. Time for a Memo to the Male American Nation: Fellas, this has gotten completely out of hand. Your toes just aren't that appealing. And for those of you over 40, this is outright undignified; save it for the beach (and then avoid the beach: very few males over 40 look good there).

I own a couple of pairs of sandals myself, although I don't get much use out of them unless I'm in Mexico: a pair of black leather slides from Lord & Taylor, and a pair of brown closed toe "dress" sandals from Kenneth Cole. I hold onto these in case of a need arising; they both look fairly decent for footwear of this kind.

But the sudden ubiquity of cheap flip-flops in every possible situation -- spare me.

UPDATE (5/7/2009): As noted in a later post, I eventually relented and bought a nice pair of Clarks flip-flops, for the sake of Walt Whitman-ian contradiction and as an "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" gesture. I don't wear them much, but occasionally the mood takes me. I still think flip-flops are too ubiquitous, as complained of in the original post, but every now and then I see a guy pull the look off. I always make a mental tip-o'-the-hat when I see men get away with clothing choices that shouldn't work or that don't generally appeal to me.)

No comments: