Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Twittering-Down of Discourse

Lately, in the wake of Twitter, I have noticed that if I post a carefully considered four paragraph post on certain message boards, I am accused of being needlessly verbose and wasting people's time. This has occurred twice in recent months; one of the instances was on a world literature discussion board, for goodness sake! I have also seen articles lately to the effect that the upcoming generation is impatient with email and blogs because they are so "wordy," greatly preferring texting and tweeting. The Internet is in its infancy and I am already old school. If a four paragraph message, a blog post, and an email are "too long," how will these people ever read substantive journal articles or whole books? I'm afraid I know the answer -- they won't. But a culture of total impatience is a culture with no place for reasoned thought.

No comments: